What makes OCLF Educational Services unique?
• Delivery through Community Partners. We go to you so that your clients can access our services easily.
• Tailored Educational Services. We take the time to learn about your community service users and create programming to meet their needs, including immigrants, youth, and aspiring entrepreneurs facing barriers to employment, such as low-income or personal challenges.
• Bilingual Services. We deliver our services in English and French.
• Qualified Facilitators. Our facilitators are trained in content and delivery methods.
OCLF offers free and bilingual educational programming through Community Partners, such as:
• community health centres
• employment organizations
• entrepreneur support centres
• school boards
• settlement agencies
• training partners
By working with community organizations, this allows us to meet diverse needs and to tailor programming accordingly.
OCLF offers the following Educational Services:
Credit in Canada
This workshop gives newcomers information needed to improve their economic situation. They learn about the importance of credit in Canada and its impact on their life choices. Participants are empowered by learning how to obtain and interpret their credit report. Equally important, they learn how to establish and maintain a strong credit history while avoiding common pitfalls.
This workshop explains the concept of credit and looks at examples. It highlights what to do and what not to do to establish and maintain a good credit history. Given the language proficiency of the group, the workshop uses a practical approach and speaks more to actions people can take, rather than delving into the interpretation of the credit report.
Orientation to Entrepreneurship
(Coming Fall 2020)
Orientation to Entrepreneurship serves as the initial point of contact for newcomers interested in starting a business and aims to leave participants with a clear idea of next steps and how to access the resources available in Ottawa.
The Orientation provides a guided self-assessment that highlights individual entrepreneurial strengths and weaknesses.
The results of the self-assessment are linked to available local resources, allowing participants to create a plan of approach for business activities. Delivered onsite where clients are already receiving services, OCLF’s orientation makes it easy and accessible to find out more about starting a business in Ottawa.
(Business Training Opportunity Circle)
Business Training Opportunity Circle (BizTOC) offers 10 workshops on a variety of themes related to starting a business.
They are designed for newcomers to Canada and can be tailored to meet the needs of various groups.
- Training 30 hours in 10 workshops.
- Opportunity Personalized 1:1 business coaching, credit counseling, and access to community, human, and financial resources.
- Circle Peer networking and support during the program.
If you are a community organization and would like to invite OCLF to deliver services in your community, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get in touch
OCLF empowers people by giving them information and tools to increase economic confidence and self-reliance or to start a business. Call us to find out how we could help you.